Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Derek's 650

Derek works at one of the premier local bike shops, Absolute Bikes, the shop I last wrenched at some years back before starting into this whole frame building mess.  He's a 6'2" climber who came to me riding an ill fitting mid nineties Ibis Mojo.  A cool bike no doubt, but the fit on those old California racer steeds just doesn't work out too well.  His request was a bike that could still climb to the top of the mountain but that gave him more confidence on the descents.  So here it is: 100-120mm 650B, dedicated geared, semi-short rear end with a tall head tube to match some long legs.  This bike was an absolute pleasure to build from the drawing on...a very smart bike.  I wouldn't mind one myself.  The color is canyon copper and its getting the full Chris King package with Race Face/XT 2x10 gearing on Velocity Blunt rims.




I haven't seen the finished product yet, but I talked with Derek today and he just went on and on about it (this was also confirmed by his co-workers).  Enjoy your new bike Derek.  Can't wait to throw a leg over for a bit.

--Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment